Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
I had the honor of throwing my wonderful (and very pregnant!) friend, Kelly, a baby shower this weekend. When planning the menu, I asked for her favorite kind of cupcake and she enthusiastically replied with “chocolate with vanilla frosting!” I took a little liberty with the frosting and opted to go with cream cheese frosting because it is delicious and amazing and life-affirming. Or something. I snacked on enough of it while trying to wield a pastry bag that my pants are little tighter today. Worth it.
As for the cake? I made a similar cupcake months ago using Ina Garten’s Beatty’s Chocolate Cake recipe and, while it was good, I wanted to try the Cook’s Illustrated version because if the recipe made the cut at America’s Test Kitchen, surely it would be a revelation in mine. And it was.
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a standard size muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Place chocolate and cocoa in a medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and cover for 5 minutes. Then whisk until combined and smooth. Set aside until it cools completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, salt and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Next, whisk oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla into the cooled chocolate/coffee mixture until smooth. Slowly add in the flour, whisking to combine until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly in the cupcake liners (I like to use a 1/4 measuring cup to ensure uniformity).
- Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 17 to 19 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer (or a hand mixer), whip together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar and whip until smooth and fully incorporated (4-5 minutes).
- Frost cupcakes as desired.