Vegan Broccoli Salad
I have a problem. A food hoarding problem. Specifically involving boxes of Trader Joe’s Mahi Mahi burgers. The deep freeze in our basement probably houses a minimum of 20 boxes. Last year, the Mahi burgers came and went so quickly that when they came back on the shelves this year, I stocked up. Maybe a little too aggressively. What can I say? They are healthy and delicious and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
So since the Mahi burger is a weekly staple, I’m always looking for a different side (other than a rotating variety of spinach salads).
Enter the classic broccoli salad. Only I’ve lightened it up quite a bit. And made it vegan thanks to my good friends Vegenaise (better than mayo, I swear!) and Bacos. Yep. Bacos. No, it’s not the same as bacon, but I swear to you, you won’t miss the real deal in this salad because it’s the perfect amount of healthy veggies, crunch and sweetness.
- 2 heads of broccoli (or one bag of Trader Joe's organic broccoli - my go-to)
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup Bacos
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Chop the broccoli into small pieces, removing most of the stems. Transfer broccoli to large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the Veganaise, sugar and white vinegar and mix until smooth.
- Add the Veganaise mixture to the broccoli and top with the onion, Bacos and dried cranberries. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes so the flavors can combine.
- Serve and enjoy!